needed 7 years, because there were only some 70 days available
for construction work each year ; in 1888, there were
only 52. The year 1889 was inscribed on the pediment
and should have seen the work finished, but in fact only 75
days work were possible. In 1890 there were 83. The
contractor responsible for undertaking the work was completely
ruined, and ended up working as an ordinary labourer in 1893.
The observatory was inaugurated 18th August 1894.