Observatory under the Forest Administration 1894 - 1943
observation logs were kept by forester Blanc from 1st December
1894, who was the first resident at the observatory, coming
from Mont Ventoux. From 1897, the French Alpine Club built
a wooden refuge attached to the ground by four chains at the
North end of the building. Tourists were starting to visit
the Observatory ; there were 1250 in 1898, which was a very
respectable number since they must have all come up on foot
or by horse and trap. Later the Observatory was closed to
tourists for lack of personnel.
With good roads and the mass of private cars, the number of
tourists coming to admire the view never stopped growing.
The following years saw various proposals for improvements
or expansion, but few of them were realised. Winter storms
repeatedly caused considerable damage, and for months on end
the telegraph lines would be cut, and the buildings needed
constant renovation. Tabusse, a local man, helped with the
work and was responsible for the mountain refuge after 1916
; he was immortalised is André Chamson's "Story
of Tabusse" , and inspired the film "Tabusse"
by Jean Gehret in 1948. A room in the Observatory is named
Each year which went by necessitated repairs at the Observatory
which offered only Spartan or uncertain comfort...